Windows® 8 User Guide
Table of contents
Make sure your Windows 8 device is connected to a Wi-Fi Internet connection.
Also consider viewing the Next Issue Windows® 8 Quick Start.
Next Issue is compatible with Windows 8 and Windows RT. The app is not compatible with Windows phones.
The User's Guide provides you a hands-on tour of the top features in the Next Issue app for Windows 8.
• All your favorite magazines in one convenient app: All titles in your personalized library are read through one easy-to-use app, with a common navigation method and consistent user interface throughout, so you can focus on the content and not how to use the app.
• Access from tablets and PC's: For the first time, you can access the app from your choice of iPad, most Android tablets and a wide variety of Windows 8 devices.
• Smart and automatic downloading: The app features two new download features called Smart Download and Autoload so large files and long download times don't get in the way of reading what you want right away.
• Page Carousel: The beautiful carousel experience allows you to visualize all the content available in the magazine and rapidly navigate through it.
• Storage management: Actively manage how many magazines the Next Issue app can hold by tapping on 'Usage' in the settings menu.
• Enhancements: Many magazines include video, audio, slideshows, tap-to-reveal active elements, in-article scrolling, quizzes, and embedded web content.
• Snap split screens: Open the Next Issue app side-by-side with any other app, giving you the flexibility to multi-task at your convenience.
• Pinning to Start: Now you can create a shortcut for your favorite titles in your library and pin them straight to your start screen.
• Pinch and zoom: Allows you to zoom in and out in your personal library as well as the catalog for better navigation.
• New issues notifications: Gives you an overview of how many new issues you have in your personal library, the moment you open the app, so you know what to expect.
• Live tiles: Coming soon, we're adding the ability to rotate covers of the latest issues in the app tile on the Start screen.
Next Issue allows customers to read any available magazine they want for one low monthly price. No more keeping track of multiple subscriptions with different prices.
There are two unlimited access plans: Unlimited Basic and Unlimited Premium.
The Unlimited Basic plan ($9.99 per month) contains all magazines in our catalog, except for titles delivered weekly. Unlimited Premium ($14.99 per month) includes access to every magazine in the Next Issue catalog including weekly titles (such as Entertainment Weekly, People, Sports Illustrated, and TIME).
There is a free 30-day trial offered on unlimited access plans. After the 30-day free trial, you are billed monthly on your credit/debit card.
NOTE: All transactions take place in the web browser. Sign up on the web, and then download apps for iPad, Android tablets or Windows 8 devices.
1. First, go to Windows Store and swipe from the right side of the screen to reveal the Search charm. Search for "Next Issue" and download the app.
2. After downloading the app, tap on the Next Issue tile on your start screen, and then tap to "Sign up for a FREE 30-day Trial".
3. You will now be redirected to www.nextissue.com where you can sign up for an Unlimited Plan.
4. Unlimited plans: At the top of the home page you can click to watch a video about Next Issue. Then, click on the 'Try FREE for 30 days' button to learn more about our two Unlimited plans.
5. After you have signed up, go back, open the app on your Windows 8 device and sign in with your Next Issue account.
1. A single, convenient library of magazines: Open the app and see your complete library. No more islands of apps for each title with different navigation and look and feel. Now you can browse, manage and read all your favorite magazines in one place with a consistent navigation experience.
2. Catalog - pick magazines for your Personal Library: Swipe from above or below the screen to reveal the 'Catalog' and the 'Sort' buttons in the app bar. Tap on 'Catalog' to reveal all available magazines in the Unlimited Plan.
3. Pinch the screen to zoom out and get a better overview, then select as many as you'd like to add to your personal library as part of your Unlimited Plan. Tap the back arrow button in the top left corner to return to your personal library.
4. (Note: If you have not signed up for an Unlimited Plan, there will not be a catalog button, instead you will have to go to the Next Issue Website to look for and buy more titles).
5. Your selections will now appear in your personal library. Pinch to zoom out, if you'd like a better overview of all your selections.
Personal library - zoomed in state:
6. Swipe down from the top of any magazine in your library to reveal title management tools.
7. Pin [Title] to Start: Exclusive to the Windows 8 app, you can select your favorite titles and "Pin" them to your start screen. This way, every time you are on the start screen, you can easily navigate directly to the individual title libraries with all the back issues. The pinned title tiles will update automatically to reflect the latest issue.
8. Autoload New Issues: Tap on 'Autoload New Issues' to enable automatic downloading. If enabled, the app will automatically download the latest new issue of the magazine, even when the app is not open. Automatic downloads take place over Wi-Fi connections only. When a magazine is downloaded, you can enjoy it without being connected to the Internet.
9. Save: Tap on 'Save' to download the latest issue. Use this feature, if you are not ready to read immediately, but instead just want to prepare for later reading when offline.
10. Delete: If the latest issue has already been downloaded, instead of the Save button, you will see a "Delete" button. Tap on it to delete the issue from your device. Don't worry, all the magazines you are entitled to are saved for you in the cloud, and you can always re-download any issue.
11. Smart Download: You can also tap directly on any of the three latest covers to start reading immediately, even if the magazine hasn't been downloaded previously. The app instantly begins downloading individual pages the moment you tap on the cover. When enough of the magazine has been downloaded, it will automatically open. Once inside, if you jump to a page while the magazine is still downloading, the page will be prioritized and immediately downloaded before any other pages. As the page is being downloaded, you will see a page thumbnail and the article title indicating what you are about to see.
12. Back issues: If you want to explore back issues beyond the three covers shown, tap on a title of the magazine to reveal all available issues. Pinch to zoom out to get a better overview.
13. Inside the stack of back issues, swipe down from the top of any cover to reveal the 'Save' button. Tap on 'Save' to download the issue.
14. When an issue is fully downloaded, it will appear with a blue downloaded icon in the lower right corner. Tap on one of the pre-downloaded magazine to open it. As with most rich digital media, you need a good Wi-Fi connection to enjoy all the features of the Next Issue app. You get the best experience if the magazine has been downloaded prior to opening it.
1. Once you've opened a magazine, you can swipe from page to page to advance. In some magazines, you can also scroll vertically.
2. Enhancements: Many magazines in Next Issue include enhancements. Tap on active elements throughout the magazine to jump to other pages inside the magazine, play videos, view slide shows and much more.
Photo with caption overlay:
3. Pinch and zoom: Other magazines in Next Issue are high-resolution PDF replicas with pinch and zoom capabilities. Tap on the magnifying glass to enable zoom, then pinch to zoom even further.
4. Swipe from the top or the bottom of the screen to reveal the app bar, which includes the Section Wheel and the Page Carousel.
5. Section Wheel: Swipe and tap on the section wheel to jump to any section in the magazine.
6. Page Carousel: No more getting lost when navigating. Swipe the page carousel to rapidly navigate through a magazine.
7. You can get back to the library by pressing the back arrow in the top left corner.
1. Snap split screens: Exclusively for Windows 8, now you can conveniently multi-task between two apps at the same time. Swipe slowly from outside the left side of the screen to create a split screen between the Next Issue app and the app you were previously using.
2. Storage Management: From anywhere inside the app, swipe from the right side of the screen, then tap 'Settings'. Then tap on 'Usage' to manage how many magazines you want the app to hold. You no longer have to worry about running out of space because of large magazine files. Users can select their preference of 5-50 'Maximum Issues'.Once you reach the storage limit you've set, the app will delete the "earliest read" content first to make space for the new issues, unless it has been "saved." Don't worry, all your magazines are stored in the cloud, and you can always start reading them immediately again with the smart download features.
3. You can also manually delete all issues under 'Usage.'
4. Under Settings you can also manage 'Notifications'. Check and uncheck if you want an email sent each time a new issue of your selected magazines is available.
Thanks for taking the time to explore Next Issue for Windows 8. Now, you can seamlessly experience Next Issue on the device of your choice. One convenient app gives you unlimited access to over 80 of the world's most popular magazines for one low monthly price.